manipulating headers / footers through API?

Jakob Fix jakob.fix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 01:31:22 PST 2006

Niels, Rick, Hedley,

thanks for your respective replies.  The idea to update markers or
variables is interesting indeed.

On 12/01/06, hedley.finger at myob.com <hedley.finger at myob.com> wrote:
> Can you explain what the problem is and why you think it is necessary to
> write a plug-in to solve it?

Well, Hedley, it's not so much about *writing* a plugin, but about
integrating the functionality into an existing one.  We already have a
powerful API client for FrameMaker+SGML we've been using for a long
long time now (so people are used to it), mainly to add the
possibility to add structured cross-references to other files.

Up to now we, as administrators, had to modify the FrameMaker file
that contains the two cross-reference targets for the two footer
fields (date and short publication title). Now we're looking to unify
and centralize meta information for our publications in one place
which can easily be manipulated by our authors. Of course, this could
be a Frame document, but a text ini file feels more appropriate
somehow.

--
cheers,
Jakob.