OT: Word to PDF

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Sat Jan 14 09:50:45 PST 2006

Not completely accurate, Art. The weakest PDF tool is PDFWriter,
which is not an issue here. Both PDFMaker and the Adobe PDF
printer instance are installed as part of the Adobe Acrobat tool
suite, and both of them use Acrobat Distiller (although they do it
"under the hood" or "behind the curtain"). The advantage of the
PDFMaker tool is that it preserves at least some of the hyperlinks
from the Word file, although those are often the features that cause
the kind of problem Tammy reported. But there is no significant
difference between printing to file using the Adobe PDF driver and
then explicitly distilling versus simply printing to the Adobe PDF
printer and letting it automatically pipe the PostScript to Distiller.

And it's generally bad advice to recommend the use of any printer
driver other than the Adobe PDF driver when you're making PDF.
For one thing, that's the single most common cause of losing colors
in the PDF.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ