Stupid Formatting Question

John Huntington jhuntington at runbox.com
Mon Jan 16 08:09:42 PST 2006

Thanks for the speedy replies!

David Creamer wrote:
> In Word, the styles have a space in the (Heading 1), while in Frame, they
> don't (Heading1). Did you rename the Word styles to match the Frame tags?
> You might not be seeing overrides, but added styles/tags not in the catalog
You were both on to something.

I went through and changed the format overrides to new formats as
suggested by Mr. Gold, but (thank you Microsoft) that came out with
about 100 (literally) different "Normal" formats (Normal1, Normal2,
etc), about 10 "Heading 11" formats, etc etc.

So, I went back to the original Word document and Mr. Creamer was
exactly right--the Word styles had a space in them.  I tried to rename
the Word styles, but whenever I would rename them, they would come out
"Heading 1, Heading1".   This reminded me why I had moved to Framemaker
in the first place :-)

I gave up on that approach and realized that while the imported formats
like *Heading 1 and *Normal were indicated in the window whenever I
selected that text, they did not show up in the Paragraph Format
catalog, nor did they show up in any pull down lists.  However, using
the Global Update Options in the Paragraph Designer, I was able to
manually type in the name of the Word format I wanted to replace into
the "All Tagged:" box, replace all the "Normal" styles with the Body
format (etc.) and that worked!

Thanks to everyone, I'm sure I will have many more questions :-)

John