Numbers in my book's ToC?

Bernard Aschwanden bernard at publishingsmarter.com
Wed Jan 25 07:08:12 PST 2006

In the reference page of the TOC find the code that looks like this:

<$paratext> <$pagenum>

Then add this to it:

<$paranum>

or

<$paranumonly>

where you feel it would do the most good :)

Likely you'll end up with this:

<$paranum> <$paratext> <$pagenum>

or

<$paranumonly> <$paratext> <$pagenum>

To make it easier to ID the right code, try this:

1. format the type of paragraph to change in the TOC (for example, Heading1TOC) to color=magenta
2. in the reference pages (view > reference page) find the magenta code (see above)
3. modify the code
4. view > body pages
5. switch to the book
6. update the book
7. review the magenta output (if correct, change color back, otherwise tweak again)

In a total and self promting way, consider getting Advanced FrameMaker (I have copies of the book) as there is a stellar, well thought out, well written, feature rich, intelligently designed (ha-ha) chapter just on generated files. Oh ya, I wrote that one :D

Hope that this helps out...

Bernard