Comparing WebWorks versions

Anderson, Eileen Eileen.Anderson at T-Mobile.com
Wed Jan 25 16:40:06 PST 2006

My team is using structured FrameMaker v7.1, Sourcerer v1.11, and
WebWorks Publisher v7.0.6 to create single-source documents to output
for different audiences and media (including print, PDF, and HTML).

Ideally, we'd like to upgrade to the latest version of all software,
including FrameMaker v7.2 and WebWorks ePublisher Pro. However,
Sourcerer (which we absolutely rely on) does not yet support FrameMaker
v7.2.  So for now we'll stick with Frame v7.1.

Two of our team members are about to learn how to use WebWorks Publisher
Pro to create and modify templates. (Current team members know only how
to apply existing WWP templates.) However, at least one vendor I've
consulted no longer offers training on WebWorks Publisher Pro version 7;
it's simply too old. I'm wondering if we should upgrade to WebWorks
Publisher Pro 2003 or WebWorks ePublisher Pro.

There is one downside to upgrading: While our desktop publishers will
have WebWorks Publisher Pro, our authors will have only the WebWorks
Standard v7 that is included with purchase of FrameMaker. We previously
found that if we created templates in WWP Pro 2003, authors using WWP
Standard 7 couldn't output HTML using those templates. (That's why we
"downgraded" our WebWorks Pro licenses to version 7.) Having authors
capable of outputting their own HTML is a luxury for us, but not an
absolute need.

So, Framers, this is where I'd like to benefit from your experience and
advice.

- Have you used WebWorks ePublisher Pro? Do you find it offers
significant enhancements over prior versions of WebWorks Publisher Pro?
Is it compatible with FrameMaker version 7.1?
- Do you see a significant advantage in using WebWorks Publisher Pro
2003 as compared to WebWorks Publisher Pro version 7?
- Do you have other thoughts on our situation or lessons learned from
your experiences with different WebWorks Publisher versions?

Thanks!

- Eileen Anderson
Manager of Curriculum Editing & Desktop Publishing
T-Mobile Customer Care Learning & Development
eileen.anderson at t-mobile.com