batch convert to MIF

Oleg A. Paraschenko olpa at bitplant.de
Fri Jan 27 22:18:22 PST 2006

  Hi Jeremy,

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:52:16 -0800
"Jeremy H. Griffith" <jeremy at omsys.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:24:32 -0500, Art Campbell
> <art.campbell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >If I were you, I'd ping Jeremy at Omsys, publishers of MIF2Go. If
> >anyone knows or could do it, they'd be the guys...
>
> Thanks, Art!  The short answer is "No".  You cannot convert
> Frame .fm files to .mif *without* running FrameMaker.  It
> would be a violation of the DMCA to do so, since .fm is a
> proprietary binary format you'd have to reverse-engineer.
> Don't do it.  ;-)

  The question is very interesting. I think that reverse enginieering of
binary formats is quite a common practice. At least, I heard that first
version of MS Word read Word Perfect files, MS Excel -- Lotus files, etc.

--
Oleg Paraschenko olpa@ http://bitplant.de/ - IT Services company
New! The Structure View tree helper: http://datahansa.com/th/