Expressing Fractions with Offset Numbers and Division Symbols

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Tue Jul 11 05:59:50 PDT 2006

Here are some other solutions: You can buy dedicated fraction fonts from
Adobe, Monotype, and others. They will usually match a particular typeface;
for example, Helvetica Fractions matches Helvetica.

Or, if you use a typeface that has a corresponding "Expert" set, you can use
the Expert font for the fractions. For example, I have Plantin, which has an
expert font called "Alt Figures." It contains each number in both numerator
and denominator sizes and positions. The advantage to these numbers is that
their weight is boosted so that don't look lighter than the surrounding
characters, even though they are smaller. Its fraction slash is accessed by
typing a normal forward slash.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com

Does anyone have any advice on how to express fractions with offset numbers
and division symbols? I'd like them to appear as they do in Microsoft
Character Map or Quark (ex. ¾). Your suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

James Dyson
Associate Technical Writer
KVH Industries, Inc.
50 Enterprise Center | Middletown, RI 02842
Direct Tel: +1 401.845.2416
Tel: +1 401.847.3327 | Fax: +1 401.849-0045
jdyson at kvh.com
http://www.kvh.com