Cross-references to Figure/Table captions work in FM, but not in PDF

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue Jul 11 23:03:10 PDT 2006

Pat Christenson wrote:

>I have no explanation but I do have a possible solution. When crerating
>the PDF, turn on Create Named Destinations. You shouldn't have to do
>this for internal xrefs but it solved the problem for a client of mine.

For an explanation, see "PDF-Related Aspects of FrameMaker 6.0: Sorting
fact from fiction" -- http://www.microtype.com/resources/FM6-PDF.pdf#page=4
, under Links ("PDF Optimization")

A simple .fm file, demonstrating how turning off Create Named Destinations
for All Paragraphs (PDF Setup, Links tab) affects links, is available at
http://www.microtype.com/resources/bugs/Dests_hypertext.zip

And several real-life PDFs which have bad links related to the so-called
PDF Optimization can be found at http://www.microtype.com/Hmmms.html (the
May 2006 item is  a PDF authored with FrameMaker 7.2, where 44% of the
cross-reference links are non-functional)

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars