Looking for a technique for applying conditionals

Joe Malin jmalin at tuvox.com
Tue Jul 18 14:51:38 PDT 2006

This is rather off-topic:

You're not working for Oracle by any chance, are you?

At Oracle I had to deal with all four OSes: Win32, Solaris, Linux, and
HP-UX. I didn't bother with conditionals, though. We had one manual to
cover everything, and put all four in the same manual. I also discovered
that the three variations of UN*X had enough differences between them
that conditionals within a paragraph or even section wouldn't have been
that useful.

Just a note. Also, this meant that the technical marketing team decided
to list each OS separately instead of just saying "UN*X". This may not
be what Linux or HP-UX people want to hear, but I think it's a useful
distinction.

	 Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin at tuvox.com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.