Not those pesky fonts...

Thu Jul 20 10:28:59 PDT 2006

John Steiner wrote:

> Rather than remembering/not remembering missing font names,
> I'd just like to install Helvetica, Times Roman, and perhaps
> a couple other fonts that are similarly in the public domain
> and commonly seen on the UNIX platform.

'Scuse me, but where did you get the notion that these fonts are "in the
public domain"?

My Helvetica and Times Roman families of fonts came from Adobe, cost
money, and are copyrighted. I've forgotten most of what I knew about
UNIX font issues back when I worked in Interleaf on Suns, but I'm pretty
certain we bought fonts from Adobe, Linotype, etc., back then, too.

My suggestion: Verify from which font foundry (or licensed vendor) the
fonts being used in UNIX came, and *buy* those _same_ fonts from the
_same_ source. If the UNIX system is using some bastardized fonts ("they
came free with this open-source clone of..."), get them to buy
legitimate versions from a legitimate foundry/vendor (Adobe, Linotype,
Bitstream) for both platforms.

[Actually, you don't buy fonts -- you buy licenses to use them. A single
license may permit use on multiple computers, so look into whether your
client's licenses already permit them to provide you with the fonts.]

Second-best option: Buy legitimate versions for your Windows system.
Then study the font-mapping portion of Customizing_Frame_Products.pdf
and the fonts section of maker.ini, and map the fonts used on the UNIX
system to your equivalents. Be aware that differences in font metrics
may cause line break and pagination changes.

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs