Calendar

Debbi Correia debbi.fortney at verizon.net
Mon Jul 31 14:10:55 PDT 2006

Why not use FrameMaker?

- Create a table for the calendar with 7 columns and 6 rows. Set the row
height for rows 1-4 to the total height divided by 5, and to half that
height for rows 5 & 6 (since some months won't have anything in the 6th
row). Straddle the columns in rows 5 & 6 that don't have a number in row
6. Using points instead of inches makes this easier (72 points per
inch).

- Create a para format for the dates with autonumbering (<n+>), and
assign that format to every cell that should include a date. Assign a
different format to the cells that shouldn't include a date.

- Create a para format for the month (as the table title, or in the
paragraph that anchors the table), turn on autonumbering, but _leave it
blank_. This will set the Date para format numbering to 0. Another
option would be to set it to < =0> (note that there is a space before
the equal sign) -- both will have the same result.

- If needed, create a para format for text for events, which would
follow the date paragraph. There isn't a simple way to get this text to
appear at the bottom of the cell, but with a little bit of math you
could set space above to work, or use blank paras. Since this isn't a
technical document, you're probably less concerned about using
overrides. You want to ensure that adding the text doesn't increase the
height of the row.

- Make sure the table format is set for Row First in the Numbering
property (on the Basic tab of the Table Designer). This is the default.

The pictures could be imported onto the page without being included in
the text frame. That means that your page setup would include a very
large top margin -- 8.5" plus the top margin for the bottom of the page
(for the fold and staple). You might have to do some work to get the
imposition correct, but each page will have a picture on top and a month
on the bottom. It's not too hard to figure out if you make a little
dummy booklet.

A nice advantage of this method is that it is easy to shade certain
dates for birthdays, etc. And it's nice that you don't have to type in
any dates -- just assign the correct paragraph format and it's done
automatically.

Good luck!

Deb Correia