Numbering challenge

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesyn.co.nz
Thu Jun 1 03:49:25 PDT 2006

And if you need to reset the table number in each section so you have stuff like this:
3.1.1: Heading
3.1.1-1: Table
3.1.2: Heading
3.1.2-1: Table (instead of 3.1.2-2: Table)

then I think you need your heading 3 to be H:<n>.<n>.<n+><n=0>

Haven't got FM here to test it though.

Cheers, Rebecca

Diane Gaskill wrote :

> Aloha Framers,
>
> I have a numbering challenge for you Frame experts out there.  For
> reasons that would take a while to explain, I need to set the table
> numbering to
> pick up the level 3 heading number just previous to the
> table.  Now it's
> easy to pick up a level 3 heading such as 4.1.1 in the header
> by using the
> Running H/F variable with the definintion <$paranum[Heading 3]>, where
> autonumbering in the Heading 3 tag is definied as <n>.<n.>.<n+>.
>
> However, when I try to use that definition as part of an autonumbering
> definition, it does not work. Instead of the number, most of
> the definition
> is displayed, as shown here.
>
> Autonum definition					Display
> ------------------					-------
> T:Table <$paranum[Heading 3]>-<n+> 		Table
> <$paranum[Heading 3]>-1
> T:Table <Running H/F 3>-<n+>			Table 0-1
> T:Table <$Running H/F 3>-<n+> 		Table <$Running H/F 3>-1
>
> I can insert the system variables <$chapnum) or <$volnum>,
> and they work
> fine, but apparently they are th only system variables that work in
> an autonumbering defintion.
>
> Is it possible to do this and if so, what did I miss in
> defining the autonum
> string?

Yes, it's possible, but not like this. You'll have to create a single
numbering stream for both headings and tables.

If your headings are now defined as
you can change this to
and your table definition is

The < > means that the number won't be displayed in your headings.

Your numbering scheme would be a bit unusual, though. Using only the
chapter number is more common, IMO.
H:Table <n>.< >.< >-<n+>

Harro de Jong