Help vertically centering text in FM..

Daniel Emory danemory7224 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 3 18:04:58 PDT 2006

--- Andy Kelsall <andy.kelsall at gmail.com> wrote:
>         I can't for the life of me figure out how to
> vertically align text
> in FM. I have a page where I would
> like to align the text vertically, but after poking
> around FM and doing a
> Google search, I'm still stumped.
> Is it possible to do this in FM? Does it require
> creating a table that fills
> up the page and then aligning the
> the text in the cell? Any help would be appreciated.
================================
Obviously, in order to calculate the location of the
top line of text to be vertically centered, you must
know in advance the total height of all the text lines
in order to properly center the first line. but there
is no way to use the paragraph designer to properly do
this.

So, the only way to accomplish this is to insert (at
the top of the page) a one-row, one-column, unlined
table (no space above or below) whose width and height
matches the width and height of the  text frame. Then
to properly center all the text within this table you
must use the Table > Row Format dialog to set the
minimum height of the table row to be (nearly) the
height of the text frame. Then in the Paragraph
designer, you must set the Cell Vertical Alignment
under "Table Cell" to Middle. All of the text will
then be centered within the table column.

Dan Emory & Associates
<danemory7224 at sbcglobal.net>