HTML Help vs. Webhelp

Linda G. Gallagher lindag at techcomplus.com
Thu Jun 8 09:24:08 PDT 2006

Gillian,

We should probably take this off this list, since it's not really a Frame
question, but here are some thoughts:

Browser-based help

- May permit more flexible design of buttons and other navigation.

- May be cross-browser, cross-platform if that's needed down the road.

- Can be served up from a server.

HTML Help (.chm)

- One compressed file to distribute and store.

- Works on all Windows systems.

- May be familiar to users.

If an application is Windows only and a desktop application, I tend to
suggest .chm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linda G. Gallagher
TechCom Plus, LLC
Intelligent technical communication since 1993
Technical writing, help development,
FrameMaker and WebWorks Publisher conversions
lindag at techcomplus.com
http://www.techcomplus.com/
Manager, Consulting and Independent Contracting
Special Interest Group
Society for Technical Communication
http://www.stcsig.org/cic/index.html