Variables vs Cross-references [WAS: Hiding Pages?]

Fri Jun 9 10:09:11 PDT 2006

Eric Dunn wrote:

> The situation was this: hundreds of components, multiple ways
> of writing their descriptions, abbreviations, and
> specifications which led to an unmanageable mass of variables.
>
> So, I turned to cross-references.
<snip detailed description>
> What are the downsides? Well, so far nothing. But I have an
> itch in the back of my skull concerning Xrefs and character
> formatting that I just can't shake. Something as to whether
> character formatting applied in the source (all character
> tagging is done using catalogue formats common to source and
> destination) is kept in the destination or not...
>
> Anyone know what I should be worrying about?

Yeah, potentially char formats, but maybe not. IIRC, there are some
formatting characteristics that are preserved in xrefs and some that
aren't. I think the basic variants of a font (e.g., bold, italic) are
discarded, but significant changes (e.g., Symbol, superscript) are
preserved. I'm afraid I don't recall the details -- maybe someone else
does?

I deliver primarily PDFs, and I wouldn't use xrefs in this way because
they'd become working hyperlinks in the PDFs. Ugh!

If your deliverables are printed books, of course, this isn't an issue.
:-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs