Colour question

Daniel Doornbos danield at promise.com
Fri Jun 9 17:35:20 PDT 2006

Dear Lester,

When you send a PDF file to an outside firm for printing, such as I
suggested for Edwin's project, your choice of printer driver can make a
big difference in output quality. The Adobe PDF driver is good when your
PDF is the final deliverable in the project, meaning it will be read
online or the user prints it.

But if your PDF is the means of transmitting your work for film or a
high-end digital printing press, the Adobe PDF driver may not give the
best results. I learned that lesson through hard experience. That is why
I urged Edwin to talk with his printing company before outputting his
files. They will know the best way to prepare his files for their
process.

Printer drivers do not use CMYK color. The driver is required by the
Windows OS in order to have a target to which you can print. The
printer, whether inkjet or laser, is the device that applies the CMYK
color.

CMYK is a subtractive color model, based on color as reflected from a
surface, such as a printed page. RGB is an additive color model, based
on color coming from a light source, such as your computer screen.

RGB graphics are designed for display on computer screens and
projectors. That is the reason the Windows GDI uses RGB. If you send RGB
graphics to the printer, the printer (or, in the case of inkjets, the
software) must interpret and convert the data to CMYK, because those are
the colors the printer can put onto the paper.

In most cases, the members of this forum probably are not involved with
offset or digital printing of their projects. As somebody who has worked
in that area, I will share my experience and let the readers decide for
themselves.

Daniel Doornbos
Technical Writer
Promise Technology, Inc.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in or attached to this
email message is either proprietary and/or confidential information, or
information intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately
notify us by email and delete the original message from your
computer/server with confirmation to us that you have done so.  Thank
you.