CE languages: importing XML in FrameMaker

Harro de Jong hdjong at triview.nl
Thu Jun 22 04:46:50 PDT 2006

I've got an XML file in Czech I want to import into FrameMaker. When I import the file, the characters not in FrameMaker's own character set are converted to markers (of type UnknownChar). The content of the marker is  Č  (for the 010C character, which is a C-caron Č), the code after the X is different for each character.

I've found that when I save the file as MIF, I can replace the marker with the appropriate FrameMaker character code (\xe9 for C-caron), and Frame will display the character correctly.

Before I reinvent the wheel: does anyone have a way to do this automatically (during XML import in FrameMaker, or in MIF, or whatever) ?
Failing that: does anyone have a table containing all these codes? I can look them all up manually, but that's proving to be a load of (dumb) work.

Harro de Jong