Pagemaker to FrameMaker conversion

Anne Robotti arobotti at journalregister.com
Tue Jun 27 08:33:54 PDT 2006

> It seems to me that it would be relatively easy for a Spanish
> speaker to replace the English text in your FM files with the
> corresponding Spanish text (assuming the existing
> translations are of good quality). Just pasting plain text
> and applying pgf and char tags as you go should go fairly
> quickly. The callouts will simply have to be redone properly
> -- but you have the translated wording to work from.
>
> The result would be a Spanish FM book that matched your
> English FM book
> -- not just in appearance/layout, but in all the "plumbing"
> -- graphics, xrefs, variables, running headers/footers,
> generated lists, etc. I suspect that result would be at best
> very difficult and time-consuming to achieve if you start
> from the PM version.

Is there a reason not to handle this with conditional text? Is it
because of the length of the book, or something? What they're doing now
sounds like a real pain! Couldn't there be two condition tags, English
and Spanish, and just translate the whole thing once? It sounds like
it's getting translated over and over again, although I admit I was
pre-coffee when I read it.

Anne

The information contained in or attached to this e-mail contains confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail is PROHIBITED. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately. Thank you.