Syntax for if/then statement

Beck, Charles Charles.Beck at infor.com
Thu Jun 29 11:00:47 PDT 2006

Hi Tammy,

Bad news: At least one major style guide and my own experience are on
your new editor's side on this one. In fact, the _Microsoft Manual of
Style for Technical Publications, Third Edition_ takes it even further:
That style guide states that you should avoid the "if...then"
construction altogether and not use the word "then" at all in such
situations. That is, you should simply say something like "If
such-and-such is true, do this."

This has also been the policy/practice with my past and present
employers and clients. I formerly also used "if...then" constructions
almost exclusively, so it was a challenge for me to adhere to this
standard when I first encountered it. But after thinking it through, I
eventually agreed that it is cleaner and more succinct.

However, YMMV. In the end, it may come down to what your
company/organization decides to use as the standard. If that is the
case, it will come down to a question of who has the final authority to
make such decisions on behalf of the organization. Hopefully, that will
not be done willy-nilly, with no regard for the preferences of all
parties involved; but in the end, if you all just cannot agree,
*some*one has to be the final arbiter. If that is not you, you may have
to just be prepared to bite the bullet and go along with it.

Somewhat ironically, the only people who care passionately enough about
such matters to discuss, debate, and defend them vehemently and
endlessly are the documentation folks, typically. Our readers could
probably not care less.

FWIW,
Chuck Beck