OT: Syntax for if/then statement

eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com
Thu Jun 29 12:03:31 PDT 2006

Bill Briggs wrote on 06/29/2006 03:30:32 PM:
> At 2:04 PM -0400 6/29/06, eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com wrote:
> >Firstly, logically speaking, isn't there a difference between:
> >- If A, and then B
> >and
> >- If A and B

> From the point of view of someone who is used to such structures in
> programming languages the first variant would never be used; the
> "and" would simply not be there.

But it is how I would describe, in writing, the construct of nested Ifs:

  If A
    {DO THIS}
    If B
      {DO THIS}
    EndIf
  EndIf
Where there may be any amount of code, waiting or looping before you get
to the If B and indeed the end of the If A statement.

Or perhaps:

  If A
    {Wait for B} -- specified or indeterminate wait time
  EndIf

Or perhaps:

  {Wait for A}
  If B
    {DO THIS}
  EndIf

In either of the above, A could become False at anytime after the test or
after the wait as the test for B and the execution of the related code is
not dependant on A.

The second one is simply

If (A) AND (B)
  {DO THIS}
EndIf

perhaps an interesting side step into logic, but pretty irrelevant to the
thread.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les présentes avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systems d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrant.
Merci.