TOC Formatting Problem

David Flynn davidaflynn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 10:56:12 PST 2006

Hi Daniel, Stuart and Richard,

Thanks for the encouragement and guidance. That is a sizeable
explaination....Daniel ....Thanks once again.

The problem I'm facing deals with using the existing template that we have
in our company.
Over the past few "handovers" from one technical writer to the nexthas
resulted in tweaking of the template here and there. Which has basically
resulted in some of the styles being different in a book or an fm. And I
have a library of ten guides.

e.g. of errors specific to certain guides

Color * definition inconsistent; whereas the other fms of the same book
don't throw this error.
Show / Comment usage inconsistent; whereas all tags have been removed and
comments set to Show All.

Each guide having its various versions of templates. Mind you I am at a
loose end as far as the consistency in presentation is conserned. Some fms
have some styles which have "overrides". Frankly, I am unclear as to how to
changeover to a single template that all guides should use. Secondly, how I
can bring about a single template change.

Is it as easy / difficult as in "certain other software" ???           :)

I have tried to checkout Adobe Training Centers available in New Delhi,
India but found none.

I am glad that we can share knowledge via this group.

Thank you,

David A.Flynn
Technical Writer