Page Numbering Properties

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Mon Mar 6 10:22:09 PST 2006

Hi, folks:

When this thread came up the other day, I thought "hmmm... that's
interesting," and let it go. But now that it's gathering momentum, I
took another look.

A quick look at several Adobe Classroom In A Book titles, the revered
"all-time best" "FrameMaker 5.5 User's Guide," "FrameMaker 7: The
Complete Reference," and Richard Hendel's "On Book Design," all use
lowercase Roman numbers for front matter, and restart body matter at
page 1 in Arabic style. Some other non-technical books I scanned
either do not number front matter pages at all, and begin body matter
at page 1, or number front matter from page 1 and continue through
body matter.

So, David's approach doesn't seem rare or odd. I don't have FM
earlier than 7.x installed, so I can't test this, but my first
reaction to David's original post was, "I thought you could do that
in FM." Perhaps this has changed since some earlier release. Anyone
care to test it and let us know?

It's likely that quoting authorities on one or the other side of the
issue won't resolve the matter any more than the recurring threads on
how many spaces should appear between sentences, or "are the widows
the ones left stranded at the end of a text frame, or are those the
orphans, or maybe it's only a line consisting of a single word left
behind or pushed ahead?"

David's suggestion to enhance FM so the user can choose to change
numbering styles is worth posting to the feature request forum.
InDesign permits this.

--
Regards,

Peter Gold