OT: RSI, Carpal Tunnel solution

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Mar 7 11:07:15 PST 2006

I thought I should share my recent solution to an incipient wrist problem...

I had not ever had problems with repetitive strain or carpal tunnel
injuries until December of last year, when I did quite a bit of work on
other people's computers in poor ergonomic positions. I ended up with an
aching forearm, aggravated every time I reached for the mouse.

Co-incidentally, I'd been doing more illustration in my work, and knew
that I really needed a graphics tablet to be effective in that. I did
some research, and purchased a 6x8 Wacom Intuos3 tablet. I've used it
for a couple of months now, and it is FABULOUS -- not just for
illustrating, but for all the things I used to use a mouse for. I highly
recommend it to anyone who is having RSI problems with a mouse. You hold
the pen tool just like you would hold a ballpoint pen, and your wrist
and hand stay perfectly relaxed and comfortable.

In fact, I liked it so much, I bought a 4x5 Wacom Graphire tablet for
home. (Graphire is the less featured, less expensive model.) That turned
out to be a mistake: it's not nearly as easy to use, the pen is not as
comfortable, and the pad is much less sensitive. If you are considering
a tablet, go for the Intuos; it's well worth the extra money.

(No commercial interest in Wacom, just love my tablet!)

best regards,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
- Mark Twain

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5