Advice for Upgrading Windows Computer

Rita Lewis Rita.Lewis at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 9 08:43:53 PST 2006

I haven't been keeping up with the list lately, so forgive me if this
topic has been discussed recently. (I know it has been discussed
periodically in the past, but I assume that standards have changed some
since then.)

I work as a contractor at a government site, and we've been asked to
submit a wish list for upgrading our computers. Does anyone have any
advice on the current minimum standards in DTP for RAM, disk space,
graphics card, video card, processor, etc.? I have Windows XP and, in
addition to FrameMaker and various plugins, the major programs I use are
Windows Office 2003 (XP?), SnagIt, WordPerfect Office 11 (for legacy
documents), and Acrobat 7. We currently have Photoshop and some other
graphics programs on a common machine, but I could be adding some of
these to my machine in the future.

I'm working at home today, and so I don't recall all my the specs on my
computer at work, but I know I'm pathetically low on RAM (384MB--have
been begging for more for 2+ years). Fortunately, I've gotten by with
that because most of our documents have been small. However, I'm
currently converting a huge document (1200+ pages) from WordPerfect to
FrameMaker and adding color photos and graphics, and I know I'm going to
need more computer power.

Any advice would be appreciated.

In addition to replying to the list, I'd appreciate a cc to my
individual account to expedite receipt of any messages.

Thanks!

Rita
(Cross-posted to FreeFramers and FrameUsers)