Advice for Upgrading Windows Computer

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 10:27:49 PST 2006

I'd go for as fast a processor as fits in the budget, 1M RAM minimum,
2+ recommended (I can't run FM and PS reliably and simultaneously
without it). Also, two hard drives, one for the OS and applications
and the second for data and the PS scratch disk (per Adobe's
recommendation). Most all the video cards on the market will provide
more than enough processing power for anything you'd do; my only
requirement there would be dual monitor support (and, naturally, dual
monitors).

Art

On 3/9/06, Rita Lewis <Rita.Lewis at noaa.gov> wrote:
> I haven't been keeping up with the list lately, so forgive me if this
> topic has been discussed recently. (I know it has been discussed
> periodically in the past, but I assume that standards have changed some
> since then.)
>
> I work as a contractor at a government site, and we've been asked to
> submit a wish list for upgrading our computers. Does anyone have any
> advice on the current minimum standards in DTP for RAM, disk space,
> graphics card, video card, processor, etc.? I have Windows XP and, in
> addition to FrameMaker and various plugins, the major programs I use are
> Windows Office 2003 (XP?), SnagIt, WordPerfect Office 11 (for legacy
> documents), and Acrobat 7. We currently have Photoshop and some other
> graphics programs on a common machine, but I could be adding some of
> these to my machine in the future.
>
> I'm working at home today, and so I don't recall all my the specs on my
> computer at work, but I know I'm pathetically low on RAM (384MB--have
> been begging for more for 2+ years). Fortunately, I've gotten by with
> that because most of our documents have been small. However, I'm
> currently converting a huge document (1200+ pages) from WordPerfect to
> FrameMaker and adding color photos and graphics, and I know I'm going to
> need more computer power.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358