Advice for Upgrading Windows Computer

Mike Wickham mewickham at compuserve.com
Fri Mar 10 05:46:12 PST 2006

>Also: Two screens are almost a necessity. They will soon enough save a
>lot of time. Especially when using Structured FM.

Two screens are great. I bought a dual-head Matrox card after many
recommended that brand. One problem I ran into, though, is that Windows XP
doesn't natively support assigning separate profiles to two monitors
attached to the same graphics card. It assigns the default profile to both--
not exactly good for a color management workflow.  Two separate cards might
be a better choice.

However, Microsoft recently came out with the Microsoft Color Control Panel
Applet for XP, available here:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e33dca0-7721-43ca-9174-7f8d429fbb9e&DisplayLang=en>.
It lets you assign separate profiles and, if you put a link to the applet in
your Startup folder, with the /L switch, it seems to load both profiles
correctly. (Be sure to turn off Adobe Gamma or other programs that load
profiles.)

Mike Wickham
Pleco Press, Inc.
"Aquarium books endorsed by fish!"