Distiller F key Violation

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon Mar 13 08:05:52 PST 2006

Bodvar,

You wrote:

>I had a small book I made in Aug 2005 which had distilled perfectly
>until I added one blank page file to it in order to print it duplex
>(and I updated the book, of course). Now the distller gives me this
>report and quits without producing a PDF file (BTW, I also have the
>"Generate Acrobat Data" set):

><PDFA ISO="19005-1:DRAFT" COMPLIANT="false">
>
>PDF/A Compliance Report
>
>1.  Content
>
>    [Violation] The F key in the Annot dictionary is missing or has an
>invalid value.
>       Page 3, Occurrences: 17
>       Page 5, Occurrences: 1
>       Page 6, Occurrences: 3
>    This document does not pass PDF/A:DRAFT compliance checks.
>
></PDFA>
>
>%%[ Warning: Did not pass PDF/A compliance tests.. No PDF file produced. ] %%
>Distill Time: 1 seconds (00:00:01)
>**** End of Job ****
>UNQOUTE ********
>
>What does this mean? I guess it has something to do with
>cross-references to the last page page-count that I x-ref to the other
>chapter pages, since the blank page was added after the TOC which
>precedes the chapter files. Will I have to reset the Last page x-ref
>marker and the x-refs in the footers of every master page of the
>chapters, or is there another (and possibly easier) way out here?

Do you need the PDF to be "PDF/A" compliant? This standard was meant
primarily for long-term archiving/reliability and some of its flavors may
expressly prohibit external dependencies, or place restrictions on links to
other PDFs (or interactivity in general).

You can turn off the standard compliance testing in Acrobat Distiller
settings, Standards section.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars