Controlling PDF page numbers

Joe Malin jmalin at tuvox.com
Mon Mar 20 15:32:51 PST 2006

Well, they're right, they don't. This happens any time you have page
numbering that follows the traditional standard book numbering scheme
(see, for example, The Chicago Manual of Style) which uses one sequence
for front matter and another for the body.

Other readers here will need to stick their fingers in their "ears" as I
once again get on this hobbyhorse: the standard is outmoded for
electronic books. In short, you don't need two sequences when you can
reliably repaginate an entire book in a few seconds.

You are not precisely correct: ways exist for overcoming the problem in
PDF. As you have probably seen already, FM tools can fix the problem.

You can also fix it long-term by getting way from the standard and
numbering the pages in sequence starting from the title page. This
choice doesn't help you with existing docs that you don't want to mess
with. It might help with future books you write. Best of all, if you
already have FM and a way to generate PDF, the solution is *free*.

	 Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin at tuvox.com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.