Saving Frame files as HTML - with graphics as jpg

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Tue Mar 21 10:54:47 PST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:42:24 -0600, "ROBIN POTTS" <robin.potts at adtran.com>
wrote:

> The limit to the graphics seems to be the problem, not so much the
>image type.

Actually, it's that Frame converts the EPS *preview* image,
usually a very low-resolution TIFF, rather than the real EPS
graphic (PostScript).  The EPS preview is meant only for
identification of the graphic, not for actual use...

>I'm going to look at converting multiple images from .eps to
>..jpg or .gif but in a large file size.

That will work.  You could use GhostScript, which
is a free PostScript interpreter:
  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
with the free converter ImageMagick:
  http://www.imagemagick.org/

Or you could use a commercial converter, such as
ps2bitmap from Square One:
  http://www.square1.nl/index.htm

>We just need something quick and
>easy for our documents to be searchable. Normally we produce everything
>in pdf but this isn't easily searchable on the web for content. But the
>images do need to be a little better. I can replace the graphics in the
>HTML folders and it looks great.

One thing to watch out for is that Frame's native HTML
conversion names the graphics by chapter file name and
sequence number.  So if you add or delete a graphic,
many of those numbers will change.  This can be a nasty
surprise at deadline... and we don't know any way to
work around it.

If you were to use our product, Mif2Go, to produce the HTML,
you'd still need to convert the EPS graphics separately to
get decent resolution.  However, we name graphics by their
Frame ObjectIDs, which do not change unless you *copy* and
paste the graphic into another location (*cut* and paste
keeps the same ID).  So you would avoid surprises.  ;-)

HTH!