Fwd: Re: Lurking fonts: for info

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 04:57:50 PST 2006

At 21:24 +0000 22/3/06, Steve Rickaby wrote:

>Many thanks to Lin, Debbie and Richard: I will put what you suggested into practise tomorrow and am confident of stomping on 'missing font' errors for good.

My hopes were short-lived. You all more or less suggested various versions of the same thing: redefine the table formats, then do an 'Update all'. However, I have still not ferreted out the elusive missing fonts. Searching for these fonts in the document produces no hits.

Here's what I actually did:

. Working entirely in MIF, I first exported all the table formats to a separate file  (a sort of 'cordon sanitaire' idea).

. I then deleted all the table formats from the base file and resaved it.

. I then opened the file containing only the table formats (and got no missing font errors, which surprised me)

. I then did an 'update all' on each table format in the file containing only the table definitions

. I then re-imported the table formats into the base file (which was still giving missing font errors when opened, even though all the table format definitions had been removed from the catalog, which surprised me again)

. I then repeated the 'update all' on each table

None of this seems to have made a blind bit of difference to the residual, incorrect, font definitions in table definitions.

I don't suppose this could be related to the EDD or element definitions, could it? All tables are controlled by All Context rules that reference the table formats, and no table formats are stored in the EDD.

I even tried editing the MIF, but for reasons that I don't yet fully understand, this didn't work either: I just seemed to convert one font 'missing' message to another font.

I am getting slightly funked out by this. In the past I've resorted to an 'forget the *£$^£$%^%& fonts and see if I care' approach once I've been sure that the 'missing' fonts were a figment of FrameMaker's imagination, but in this case, one (and only one) of the missing fonts is really missing, and I need to preserve its...er... missingness for the moment.
--
Steve

--
Steve