prevent click zoom in acrobat and reader

Melanie Drake Melanie.Drake at jmp.com
Thu Mar 23 11:00:38 PST 2006

Jon --

It may be the article setting. Does the cursor change to a hand with something that looks like an I-beam cursor inside it? Then when you click and the page zooms in a bit, does the hand now contain a downward-pointing arrow? And every time you click, the page moves in some way?

If so, what it's doing is zooming to an article. I believe this setting is supposed to make it easier to read documents like a newsletter with articles that jump around each other and from one page to another. You click on an article, the page zooms in to show you that single article, and then each time you click, it takes you to the next instance of that same article.

To turn it off in any PDF you're reading, I suggest you pull up the help (sorry!) and do a search for "article". I suspect the instructions will be different between Acrobat and Reader and between version of both. In Acrobat V 7; select the article tool (it's a curvy arrow), select View > Navigation Tabs > Articles, select any article that is in the list, and delete it.

You can also turn off that setting in Frame when you print a PS.

---
To turn it off when you print a PS in Frame:

In the Print Document window, select Generate Acrobat Data.

Click the PDF Setup button.

On the Bookmarks tab, de-select the Articles checkbox. (You can see it has two options: Thread by Text Frame and Thread by Column. You don't want either one.)
---

I think the default PDF Setup has it turned on, so I try to always remember to look at it and make sure it's off. I have a handful of things I always check/fix when I make PDFs.

If the problem is something else entirely, I have no solution. :^)

Good luck,
Melanie