Spell-checking odd behaviour

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri Mar 24 07:42:43 PST 2006

Evanth, Henrik wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In our user guide we have a customized arrow. To apply it in the user
> guide, the writer has to type '}' and then apply a character format to
> that character. The Character format uses a customized font which means
> that the '}' is transformed into a nice-looking arrow.
>
> When I spell-check, the spell-checker stops at every arrow as the
> character is included in the "Space before" field in the Spelling
> Checker "Options" dialog. So to avoid this (we have a lot of arrows in
> the user guide) I set Languge to "None" for the specific character
> format. And this works fine, almost(!).
>
> Now the problem:
> When the character with the special character format is positioned first
> in a paragraph, the spell-checker does not check the other words in the
> paragraph. You get the feeling that if the first character/word in a
> paragraph is set to Language=None the whole paragraph is set to
> Language=None. Have you seen this before? Anyone have a solution?
>
> I guess you could remove the '}' from the "Space before" field but then
> you won't find incorrect usage of '}'

Perhaps you could define a variable with the character tag applied and
insert that instead. (I haven't tested that idea in regard to
spell-checking, but in any case, it could simplify the insertion of your
arrows.)

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Democracy: you can’t export it abroad when you don’t practise it at home."
--Jack Layton

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5