OT: Functional Spec document production

Grant Hogarth Grant.Hogarth at Reuters.com
Fri Mar 24 15:11:17 PST 2006

OK-- this is somewhat OT, but I think you folks will have some good
input.
I've (today) been tasked with developing a new system for developing,
maintaining, and delivering the Functional Specification.
Below are the broad outlines of the requirements.
I'm not sure at this point whether I should be looking at a CMS, a
database system, Subversion, XML, or ?????

I am completely open to all suggestions.
Also, if someone has done this before -- I'd *really* like to pick your
brains!

Grant

________________________________

Desires:

*	Windows XP platform
*	For Functional Specifications only
*	Easy to maintain
*	Transparent to End Users (Company employees)  -- very shallow
learning curve
*	Ability to target documents against specific development
entities, but also to create a "global" document
*	Draw on a single codebase to produce all documents
*	Set of documents covering individual Core functionalities
*	Set of documents covering individual Product functionalities
(includes Core)
*	Set of documents covering individual Specialization
functionalities (includes Core AND Product)

Match Aspects to Proposed Architecture:

*	Core -- Common to all products
*	Application Layer -- Individual product differentiation (Note:
may override core functions)
*	Specializations -- "Flavors" of product (e.g. different data
sources for different companies)

Source format:

*	Must use MS Word (2003) as an authoring environment
*	Possibly OLE links as well to Excel or other apps

Roles:

*	Author (multiple, concurrent access) Read/Write/Change/Delete
*	Editor (multiple, concurrent access)  Read/Change/comment
*	Reviewer (multiple, concurrent access) Read/comment
*	Viewer (multiple, concurrent access) Read

*	QA
*	Developer
*	PM
*	Other ???
*	Internal viewers see list of changes to document (change log) --
these should be obvious
*	External viewers will not see change record

Grant Hogarth
Equis International - A Reuters Company
ghogarth at Equis.com <mailto:ghogarth at Equis.com>  /
Grant.Hogarth at Reuters.com
Direct: (+1) 801.270.3180   Main Fax: 801.265.3999