XML round-tripping & DocFrame

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Mon Mar 27 05:00:23 PST 2006

I am considering moving to Structured FrameMaker, using DocFrame from Scriptorium.
One of my goals is to permit my SMEs (mostly software developers and QA people) to add comments to XML files during the period before feature freeze when they are actively developing and I am not yet writing. My idea is that they can comment while things are fresh in their minds, and then when I come around interviewing them later in the cycle it will be easier for all involved to be sure we miss nothing.
The developers are very interested in this, but they do tend to embrace free new software solutions.
One drawback to this plan is the difficulty of finding what they need. I am a lone writer for a small company. We cannot afford an expensive CMS. But if the XML elements are stored in Chapter7.XML, then most developers won't know how to find the element they would comment on, and the system won't be used. I would like to be able to save elements like procedureDatabaseBackup.xml, overviewFingerBiometrics, and procedureInstalKerberos.xml, if I can. This would make it easier to use a relatively simple taxonomy to identify the elements and encourage use of the system.
Does anyone have experience with this?

John Sgammato
Principal Technical Writer
Imprivata, Inc.