Newbie with Questions

Kevin Rusnak Kevin.Rusnak at onbase.com
Tue Mar 28 05:48:48 PST 2006

Thank you all for your follow-ups to yesterday's questions. I am really
excited about the willingness to provide me feedback. I obtained a book
called "XML and Frame" and it really pointed me a the right direction. I
will also dig a little deeper into the company wallet and purchased
"Building an EDD" book from Scriptorium.

Here is my progress with my experiment and a few of the questions that I
have, at this point.

MY ULTIMATE GOAL:
1. One of our line of business applications will produce XML from a
button click. I have been told from a buddy of mine that is handling
that end of the experiment that he can make the XML look like whatever I
want.

2. When that XML stream is created, I want to automate the
following...XML > FRAMEMAKER > PDF > EMAIL

3. Currently the data is being inserted into a Word document via VB
Script and emailed to the individual requester whose email is tied to
their login in to the system. All I am interested in at this point are
the tools that I need to automate the process.

4. So far I have a XML sample that I can successfully structure...and
hopefully by the end of the day I will figure out how to automate that.

Question #1
 Do you have to have a DTD to automate, or to create an XML application
in Framemaker? Is a EDD only ideal for importing XML? Are they really
the same thing, such that, when you are using Frame, you just "pick
one"...or do they have specific uses?

Question #2
Do I need some type of Adobe Frame server technology to pull this off?
If so, is it expensive? Can I get away with a SDK?

Question #3
Can someone offer me the methodology behind getting something from Frame
into PDF and then email?

Thanks guys I am really excited to proceed with this. I think I am
quickly becoming addicted to the technology.

Kevin "The Newbie"

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message and any attached documents may contain confidential information from Hyland Software, Inc. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message or of any attached documents, or the taking of any action or omission to take any action in reliance on the contents of this message or of any attached documents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, at (440) 788-5000, and delete the original message immediately. Thank you.