Newbie with Questions

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Tue Mar 28 08:23:15 PST 2006

At 05:48 AM 3/28/2006, Kevin Rusnak wrote:
>Question #1
>  Do you have to have a DTD to automate, or to create an XML application
>in Framemaker? Is a EDD only ideal for importing XML? Are they really
>the same thing, such that, when you are using Frame, you just "pick
>one"...or do they have specific uses?

Kevin,
   I'll respond to one of the questions in your message. A DTD is an XML
construct. It defines the element and attribute types, entities, and
notations to be used in a type (or class) of documents. An EDD is a
FrameMaker construct. Like a DTD, it defines the element and attribute
types to be used within a type of document. In addition, an EDD associates
formatting with particular elements in particular contents and thus enables
automatic formatting of structured documents. FrameMaker can create a DTD
from an EDD and an EDD from a DTD; of course, if you create an EDD from a
DTD, you'll have to add the formatting information manually since that
information is not present in the DTD.
   Thus, if you want formatted structured documents, you need an EDD (or
the programmatic equivalent).
   If you are moving XML documents into FrameMaker, or structured
FrameMaker documents to XML, you almost always need a DTD.
         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284