MS Manual of Style -- this month's guest at the Hmmm... corner

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 10:28:00 PST 2006

At 09:56 -0800 30/3/06, Gillian Flato wrote:

>Actually, I know that the Microsoft Tech Writers use Frame and not Word.

This is a direct, verbatim quote from MS tech support back in the days of Word 6 on Mac ('95?). I was complaining that anchored graphics flowed off the end of one page, but failed to appear on the next one (some special graphics limbo lurking between pages, maybe?)

The support guy thought for a bit, then said 'It sounds as if what you're trying to do is too complex for Word. Have you thought of using FrameMaker?'.

(Why was I using Word? Because the client demanded that I do. There is no other reason.)
--
Steve