Funny

Jim Light jlight at pillardata.com
Thu Mar 30 14:40:48 PST 2006

I too remember typing in my college programming jobs on an 029 Key Punch
and submitting them over the counter at the computer center. That old
IBM 360/67 had less processing power than my laptop. A "high-Level"
language was FORTRAN. C++ didn't exist. In fact, there were no
if-then-else, do-while, and other constructs until they invented
Structured FORTRAN.

I joined technical writing when they were using Wang Word Processing.
When PCs arrived we tested both MS Word and WordPerfect and even then
rejected Word as unsuitable. (At least THAT hasn't changed.) DOS 1.0 was
an operating system it was possible to know everything about. Now it's
too complicated to know everything about an OpSys unless you do that for
a living. I think the notion that us old timers know more about how
things work underneath has merit.

I took a print shop course in High School and learned stuff about
typefaces and setting type (manually) that helps me even today.

FrameMaker, for all it's odd little quirks, is still pretty damn good.

Jim Light