Tool for XML -> Online Help

John Root jroot at publisys.com
Wed May 3 07:36:45 PDT 2006

Hi Angela,

There are a number of possible pathways you might follow to provide the
solution you're looking for. You could generate HTML from your XML content
and post this as online help, or you could post your XML content and
transform this on the fly as requested by users. Both solutions have their
advantages and disadvantages.

Typically, to implement context sensitive online help, you'll need to
provide some type of mapping between PIDs and topic IDs or URLs. This can be
implemented in various ways. Using a custom help viewer simplifies the
issue, but even with a generic browser you can use server side search
functionality with unique keywords for each PID. Obviously, this is
dependent on implementing some sort of search functionality.

One solution worth looking at is MS Content Management Server (CMS) with
SharePoint Portal Services (SPS). CMS provides a high performance
transformation framework out of the box and SPS gives you a highly
customizable web interface and search functionality.

Be aware that any solution that goes beyond posting static HTML with a basic
nav frame is likely to involve a serious commitment of dev time. FWIW, Word
(and Office) online help was developed and is support by a substantial team.
OTOH, with the right skillset, it's possible to implement a similar type of
solution for a small team.

Hope this is helpful.

John