Notation defined in the Schema that Frame doesn't view

Nicola Amati namati at documentsolutions.it
Wed May 3 09:39:31 PDT 2006

Hello framers,
I have a problem using entities for graphics referencing, having defined
notations in my Schema for them.
When I import or export an XML file with entities declaration in it, Frame
doesn't find notation definitions for entities' NDATA sections.
I used this feature with XML and SGML DTDs in the past, but now this seems
not to work with Schemas.
I absolutely need using entities and schemas in my project.

Below you can see a sample schema and an XML instance which cause the Frame
error:

<?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "UTF-8"?>
<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd = "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
         elementFormDefault = "qualified">

         <xsd:notation name = "gif" public = "image/gif" system = ""/>

         <xsd:element name = "root">
                 <xsd:complexType>
                         <xsd:choice maxOccurs = "unbounded">
                                 <xsd:element ref = "para"/>
                                 <xsd:element ref = "figure"/>
                         </xsd:choice>
                 </xsd:complexType>
         </xsd:element>
         <xsd:element name = "para" type = "xsd:string"/>
         <xsd:element name = "figure">
                 <xsd:complexType>
                         <xsd:attribute name = "object" type = "xsd:ENTITY"/>
                 </xsd:complexType>
         </xsd:element>

</xsd:schema>

<?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE root [
<!ENTITY ent1  SYSTEM "image.gif" NDATA gif>
]>

<root xmlns:xsi = "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation = "file:///D:/Temp/simpleSchema.xsd">
         <para>para text</para>
         <para>other para text</para>
         <figure object = "ent1"/>
</root>

I use FrameMaker 7.2p158 on Windows 2000 Pro.

Can you see where I'm wrong? Or what to do to resolve/bypass the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Nicola.