FM 7.2 XSLT and unicode characters

Alan Houser arh at groupwellesley.com
Sat May 6 19:09:56 PDT 2006

Wim,

I would take a look at the XSLT 2.0 'character-map' statement. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-character-map for details. It was
designed to handle this sort of problem.

You will need to run the XSLT transform using an XSLT 2.0-compliant
processor. Note that FrameMaker 7.2 provides an XSLT 1.0-compliant
processor. This is reasonable, since XSLT 2.0 has not yet been finalized
by the W3C.

Using xsl:choose to test for the presence of multiple Unicode characters
is problematic. When any single xsl:choose test evaluates to 'true',
subsequent tests are not invoked. Also, you are likely to want to
translate Unicode characters to character entities (e.g., č), and
the translate() function will only map to single replacement characters.

Javascript should not cause any problems, as long as XML special
characters in the Javascript are escaped in the result of the
transformation. (e.g., '<' must be represented as '<').

-Alan

--
Alan Houser, President
Group Wellesley, Inc.