Career advice--which application to focus on: FM or Word?

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Thu May 11 09:14:39 PDT 2006

You're kind of asking a Catch-22 question, Andy, because you should
obviously focus on
the position and work.... But most tech writing gigs will specify or
require skills
with whatever tools the shop uses. So you need to focus on both.

I think that you need to have at least a passing familiarty with both
FM and Word in order to be in the running for the largest pool of tech
writing gigs.

Art

On 5/11/06, Andy Kelsall <andy.kelsall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>            I would like some advice from anyone who has worked in the
> technical writing field for more than 3 years. My question is this:
>
>           If you knew someone who was looking to enter the technical writing
> field at this time, would you advise them to seek out positions where they
> would be using FrameMaker, or would you tell them not to worry so much on
> which application would be used, but instead focus on the position and the
> work itself?

                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358