Career advice--which application to focus on: FM or Word?

HSC Italian twins398 at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 10:20:44 PDT 2006

I've been a technical writer for 15+ years.

To answer your question:
If you knew someone who was looking to enter the technical
>writing
>field at this time, would you advise them to seek out positions where they
>would be using FrameMaker, or would you tell them not to worry so much on
>which application would be used, but instead focus on the position and the
>work itself?

I would advise the person to look for both, a job that requires FrameMaker
(because Frame is the industry standard) and the right position. The tool
you use is important because it's often a requirement for most tech writing
jobs, but some places will train you on the tool. The position is just as
important, if not more.

Here's a good example, my experience had been documenting training manuals
and user guides for in-house IBM 390 mainframe systems, DOS-based products,
software products, and some computer station setup. When I realized that I
REALLY liked documenting software, I began interviewing specifically for
software tech writing jobs. My first official job at a software company
required Frame. I didn’t know Frame. They interviewed me and hired me, not
because I knew the tool, but because I had the skill, experience, and
attitude they wanted. With that being said, don’t feel like you have to pick
one or the other, first discover what you think you’ll enjoy documenting the
most, the tool is always something you can learn.

Good luck.

Heidi