Adobe at the STC

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon May 15 04:38:43 PDT 2006

At 14:21 -0400 12/5/06, Bernard Aschwanden wrote:

>Just thought I would let everyone on the list know that Adobe had a noticeable presence at the STC conference in Vegas. The biggest topics that they discussed included Acrobat 3D, RoboHelp and FrameMaker.

This is good to hear, but a sad contrast, afaik, with what happens in the UK. Here it is CS2, CS2, CS2. I am trying to do my bit of banner-carrying by taking over editorship of a series of articles in 'Communicator', the ISTC's quarterly journal: FrameMaker needs as much exposure as it can get, whatever platform it happens to run on. (The ISTC is the UK's closest equivalent to the STC.)

I was recently at IPEX, the quadrennial (? - every four years, anyway) show for the printing and publishing industries. Apple and Adobe had stands - perhaps blessedly separated by the Sun stand. No mention of FrameMaker from Adobe, as usual, although the guys on the stand were somewhat amused by my 'FrameMaker for OS X' T-shirt. They were, however, interested in FrameMaker, some had worked on or with it, and were happy to talk about it.

To be fair, IPEX is not geared towards the tech writing world either, but I suspect that a lot of the attendees were heavily involved in the sort of corporate publications at which FrameMaker can shine.
--
Steve