Numbering Systems for Technical Service Manuals

Laura_J_Kirk at bd.com Laura_J_Kirk at bd.com
Tue May 16 13:03:47 PDT 2006

I do number, but never below a fourth level (1.2.3.4). I am not required
to do so by spec or policy. I personally find when I read long manuals
(e.g. a camcorder, digital camera, etc.) that when it is not numbered, I
do not assimilate data as well because I lose the hierarchy of
information. I need a structure into which to save information.

Thus, for my readers who may be similarly wired, I number the paragraphs.
For those who don't need numbering, I doubt any find their understanding
of the material to be harmed by the presence of paragraph numbers. So it
seems, pretty much, win-win to use para. numbering.

The one exception was a manual that we were submitting for a CLIA waiver.
It had to be written to a 7th grade level, and I used exaggerated font
size changes to indicate paragraph levels (e.g. top level was 48 pt.,
second level was 24 pt., third level was 14 pt., and there was no fourth
level).

ljk
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

"Gillian Flato" <gflato at nanometrics.com>
Sent by: framers-bounces+laura_j_kirk=bd.com at lists.frameusers.com
05/16/2006 03:09 PM

<framers at frameusers.com>
cc

Subject
Numbering Systems for Technical Service Manuals

Guys,

When you write a Technical Manual do you number heads and sections with
1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1 etc. I have a manual which is essentially an API and
it's numbered that way. It looks very cluttered to me. By taking that
out and using conventional styles, it has an easier UI to me.

What's the general consensus on numbering with the 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.2 type
of way? Is that generally history now, or is it actually still used a
lot?

Thanks,

Gillian Flato

Technical Writer (Software)

NANOmetrics, Inc.

1550 Buckeye Dr.

Milpitas, CA. 95035

(408.435.9600 x 316

7  408.232.5911

* gflato at nanometrics.com <blocked::mailto:v at nanometrics.com>

information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not
the intended recipient, delete this message. If you are not the intended
recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action based
on this message is strictly prohibited.
or visit
http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/laura_j_kirk%40bd.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR RECIPIENTS IN THE U.S.A: This message may
constitute an advertisement of BD group's products or services or a
solicitation of interest in them.  If this is such a message and
you would like to opt out of receiving future advertisements or
solicitations from this BD group, please forward this e-mail to the
optoutbygroup at bd.com.
This message (which includes any attachments) is intended only for
the designated recipient(s).  It may contain confidential or
proprietary information and may be subject to attorney-client
privilege or other confidentiality protections.  If you are not a
designated recipient, you may not review, use, copy or distribute
this message.  If you received this in error, please notify the
sender by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Thank You