Non-printing Colors Insist on Printing!

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue May 16 22:41:18 PDT 2006

Mike,

You wrote:

>I've got some text that I need to cross-reference in a TOC, but I don't want
>it to print in the document where it resides. I've been hiding it in the
>margin, with font color white. Of course, there I times that I do want to
>view the text for editing, and I have to change the color of the text to
>something visible for those times I need to read it.
>
>But I just noticed that you can define a color and set its definition  to
>"Print As: Don't Print." It sounds perfect! I could assign a color to this
>text that I could see, but it wouldn't show up in PDFs-- or so I thought. I
>created a color called "NoPrint" and assigned it as follows:
>
>Color Definition: NoPrint
>    Print As: Don't Print
>    Model: CMYK
>    C: 0
>    M: 60
>    Y: 80
>    K: 0
>    Overprint: Knock Out
>
>Despite being set to "Don't Print," when I print to PDF, the text shows up
>in PDFs and prints from the PDF, too. Aargh! How can I make non-printing
>text NOT print? Anyone else have this problem?

The "Don't Print" setting in a color definition specifically relates
to printing color separations from FrameMaker. Colors defined as
"Don't Print" do not appear on any printed plate when printing
to color plates, but will print otherwise.

You can suppress specific colors from being displayed and printed
can be done through "Color Views", but this will requires toggling
from one view to another to show/hide the specific colors
(eg view #6 shows all colors, view #1 hides the 'NoPrint' color).

White text, although invisible on a white background, is carried
over to the PS/PDF output. It is searchable, spoken and could even
be displayed -- see http://www.microtype.com/Hmmms.html#0412
for additional discussion and examples

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
Training, consulting & add-ons: FrameMaker, Structured FM and Acrobat