FM 7.2 starts much slower than 7.1

Phil Heron Phil.Heron at CODA.com
Fri May 19 06:42:47 PDT 2006

Framers,

I think the new fonts supplied with Frame 7.2 (and 7.1) could do with better documentation.

When I received my FM7.2 upgrade I knew it was supplied with a new set of fonts so I looked on the CD but couldn't find them anywhere.

After inspecting my FM7.2 installation I found them all lurking in \Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker7.2\fminit\fonts\Adobe.

I then attempted to install the fonts from there using the Windows "Fonts" control panel. After some puzzlement I eventually realised they were "Private Fonts" which could only be used in FM 7.2. They are clearly loaded by FM during program startup and thus lead to the extended startup time.

I also eventually discovered that the only way to access the full set of font variations was by setting up paragraph styles.
And finally, to embed the fonts in my Acrobat documents, I found I had to go the "Font Locations" dialog in Distiller and update the incorrect path to these private fonts.

Why couldn't the FM 7.2 "New Features" PDF not say something like:

"FM 7.2 comes with a set of high-quality OpenType fonts. They are loaded during application startup and are then available for use in your FrameMaker documents. You cannot use them in your Windows applications."

However, now I know how to use these fonts, thankyou to Adobe for including them!

Phil Heron
Technical Writer - CODA
www.coda.com

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-bounces+phil.heron=coda.com at lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces+phil.heron=coda.com at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Donald M Rinderknecht
Sent: 19 May 2006 14:20
To: frame at daube.ch
Cc: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: FM 7.2 starts much slower than 7.1

Klaus,

My machine is similar in configuration to yours and Frame 7.2 loads in about 10 seconds. (7.1 is no longer on this machine.) In my case, "Fonts" also takes the longest time to load (about 7 seconds for a couple hundred fonts).

Thanks,
Don.

Don Rinderknecht -- KD5MVV
Meteorologist Instructor/Developer ~ Warning Decision Training Branch Donald.M.Rinderknecht at noaa.gov ~ http://wdtb.noaa.gov