OT: Powerpoint Gotcha

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri May 19 10:48:00 PDT 2006

I just got blindsided by Microsoft and thought I'd share a warning:

The Pack and Go feature in Powerpoint allows you to compress a
presentation along with Powerpoint Viewer software so that the
presentation can be displayed on a PC that does not have Powerpoint
installed.

The Viewer software (that comes with Office XP/Powerpoint 2002, at any
rate) was apparently built in 2000, and fails to handle the newer
features of Powerpoint itself. None of my custom animations worked
properly in the Viewer version, and some of the graphics did not display
at all.

Nice going, Macroslop. The guy who is going to be presenting discovered
the problem an hour ago, and his plane to Moscow leaves in four hours.
Talk about a mad scramble to de-animate, re-do slides and change graphic
file formats. Fortunately, I got it done in time, but it could have been
a major embarrassment for our man in Moscow...

s.

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification
for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith, 1908-2006
"The smartest export Canada ever sent to the United States."

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5