How to de-select Cross-references

Nandini Garud nandini at resonate.com
Mon May 22 14:02:51 PDT 2006

Dear Framers,

Because there were too many versions of the book files in the folder
"Old-New" on the network drive F, we created a new folder "CD5 Book Files"
on the same network drive F and transferred the latest copies and the book
to that folder. As Frame started looking for the graphics in the old folder,
(duh!) we transferred the graphics folder there as well.

Now the cross-references (about 100 of them altogether) look to the files in
the "Old-New" folder instead of the files in the new "CD5 Book Files".  When
I go into Edit "update references" and choose the new folder "CD5 Book
Files" It works for the files outside the current chapter, but for the
current chapter, I have to go inside the file and choose the cross-reference
and update it again. These are correct x-references, but the format for the
cross-reference comes up as for chapter 4, although the reference is to
chapter 5, 6, 3...

After updating, when I check the reference, it's the same problem all over
again.

Would it help to move the book to the "Old-New folder?" We saved it under
"CD5 Old Book Files."

After I chose "save every 5 minutes" in the preferences, "auto" copies have
been created for the files I updated. FrameMaker prompts me whether I want
to use those files as the latest saves may be there. Is this why my
cross-reference are not taking effect? When I selected edit > update
references from the files, I am directed to the file with the .auto
extension.

Should I delete the auto files and save the original files? Will the
cross-references work then and remain working?

Sorry for a detailed question.

Nandini