Which should we purchase, PhotoShop or Illustrator

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Sun May 28 14:09:51 PDT 2006

I am not sure what you mean by cleaning up graphics. If you mean
mainly the scaling and setting the pixelation, The GIMP
(http://www.gimp.org) is a free (as in speech and as in beer)
alternative, and it you can get with it a very good, free handbook,
help files etc. The only downside is that The GIMP does not support
CMYK (4-color separation).

However ther is a plugin that can handle these and, of course you can
send a RGB uncompressed TIFF file for CMYK adaption at the printshop
etc.

With Photoshop and FM under Windoze, you would have to, as so  many
times explained on this list, save the CMYK Photoshop file as ESP and
import the ESP into FM for the CMYK not to be changed into RGB by
Windoze/FM.

I find it easier to use The GIMP to "clean up" my screen shots, photos
etc. than PhotoShop and I have the CS.

What I am using the most out of the CS suite is Illustrator (logoes,
various vector drawings) and InDesign.

One of the main practical differences between bitmap and vector is
that vector is fully scalable, since it is a collection of commands on
e. g. where to start a line, where to end it and whether it is a
straight line, arc, etc., much like a PostScript font, whereas the
bitmap is not talking about lines or fills (even though the bitmap
application may do that -- PhotoShop etc) but is just a collection of
bits in a given two-dimentional area in a certain order, much as you
see on your screen, and therefore, scaling will in most cases mean a
certain distortion of the image.

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson